Homecare Community

The free professional network for homecare, hospice and private duty communities

Homecare Technology Association of America (HCTAA) looking for ROI assistance

HCTAA is interested in knowing the operational costs which result from the need to get the POT to the physician, signed by the physician, and returned to the agency.  We are investigating the option of building a standard that will allow POT information to flow from your respective homecare IT systems to the physicians’ IT systems and back again, without asking the physician to log-in to another system, click a link, sign a fax, etc.

We believe this is a major operational bottleneck which is costly to homecare providers, impedes the flow of patient specific information at the time of patient transition,  and is a barrier to better homecareß-à physician relationships.

Please share your perspective of the costs incurred by patient and\or by POT.  Any and all data, ideas, and input are appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Keith Crownover

HCTAA Chair

Tags: 485, POT, ROI

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

We agree with the imporance of this initiative.  We will try to pull together some data for the group.

George

Thanks for your help!

It costs us approximately $6.00 per POT for the following steps:

Review

Prepare/Print

Tracking In/Out

Physical Mailing/Faxing

For 1,000 POTs per month, this results in an operating expense of approximately $6,000 per month.

Hope this is helpful,

geo

That is exactly the kind of data that we need.  Thanks!

It sounds as though you have done some specific time studies to arrive at the $6 per POT?  If so, is there detailed data on how much time is spent on the preview, printing, faxing\mailing, tracking in\out?  These would be the steps that we would hope to eliminate.

George Haydon said:

It costs us approximately $6.00 per POT for the following steps:

Review

Prepare/Print

Tracking In/Out

Physical Mailing/Faxing

For 1,000 POTs per month, this results in an operating expense of approximately $6,000 per month.

Hope this is helpful,

geo

This is an older question, and I'm new to this forum.

I do find this question interesting....I spoke with our Intake Nurse Manager.  She didn't have time to come up with specific costs like others have - but in our agency, we open about 200 referrals a month.

We are hospital-based, so our medical records department is involved in this process as well.

For that, it is likely $8-$10 per hour for HIM personnel to fax, scan, and handle the POT.

For the ones we handle, it is actually an RN wage to account for.

I know it isn't specific info, but hope it helps.

Laura,

Thanks for your reply.  It is actually pretty timely as we will be discussing this topic at the HHFMA (Financial Managers') meeting next week. I will let you know how we plan to move forward.

Thanks again!

Laura Soares said:

I do find this question interesting....I spoke with our Intake Nurse Manager.  She didn't have time to come up with specific costs like others have - but in our agency, we open about 200 referrals a month.

We are hospital-based, so our medical records department is involved in this process as well.

For that, it is likely $8-$10 per hour for HIM personnel to fax, scan, and handle the POT.

Thanks Keith!

Keith Crownover said:

Laura,

Thanks for your reply.  It is actually pretty timely as we will be discussing this topic at the HHFMA (Financial Managers') meeting next week. I will let you know how we plan to move forward.

Thanks again!

Laura Soares said:

RSS

© 2014   Created by HomeCareCommunity.org.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service